Friday, November 21, 2008

The mists of Avalon

Last weekend I flew from Dublin to Newquay, not quite expecting it would be such an adventure ...

As I boarded the plane, I noticed that it was propeller driven ... wasn't that type of plane built before WWII ..?!!!
Anyway, it got started with a deafening noise, which did not abode very well ... During the flight there was sort of a surreal atmosphere, almost as if the plane was not moving and we could easily slid into another dimension ...
Meanwhile the air hostess was running back and forth with sick bags, even though the ride wasn't bumpy at all.
Down below it looked cloudy. Gradually we were enveloped by thick clouds, as the plane was going down ... going down ... and then suddenly with a huge noise started to go back up again ... It looked like we were flying through the mists of Avalon ...
The pilot could not see the runway.
And as we finally found solid ground in Newquay it was almost dissappointing not to be in another realm entirely ...


Image: "Newquay" by Anne Vis, available at Redbubble.

1 comment:

Lynda Lehmann said...

Great description, Anne, of a not-so-comforable flight! I've had some of those, which I'd rather forget! Although I do find it fascinating when my plane sinks into a cloud bank.

Your art is looking beautiful, as always.

I wish you a wonderful, joyous and creative holiday and year ahead, Anne!