Monday, May 18, 2009

Consciousness, brain and change ...

Flow in Joy - by Anne VisI am lately very interested in everything related to brain and consciousness and what constitutes reality. I guess it started with my eye exercises: I literally am taught how to look at things THAT ARE NOT THERE! I know they are not, yet I do see them ... So what does that say about my awareness through my senses ...
The last couple of years a lot of books on brain function have been published.

I was reading a book by Antonio Damasio, a neuroscientist, called "The Feeling of what happens". It quite unexpectedly supported my view that the "now"-theories are basically crap ... (sorry if I am insulting any enthusiastic followers of Tolle here). Damasio describes a difference between core consciousness (basically organized by the more centrally located areas in the brain) and extended consciousness (as located in for instance the frontal lobes). You can live "in the now", which requires a core consciousness ... yet your creativity is not available as it requires the extended consciousness ... which brings in all other factors, like an extended time scale, other dimensions and so forth ...
As an artist (and probably everybody else) of course you want access to all these at all times ...

Damasio also talks about the "ego" as a "sense of self" and that we really cannot do without that "core self" - as he explains it is a sign of disease: "removal of knowing and self without removal of wakefulness places the organism in grave danger - one is then capable of acting without knowing the consequences of one's acts ... the thoughts one generates go unclaimed because the rightful owner is missing ..."
So much for all of us new-agies who want to get rid of their ego. I never quite understood why the ego was so demonized.

Another interesting book is written by Sandra and Matthew Blakeslee, called "The body has a mind of its own". One fascinating aspect (out of many) is the description of a blind painter ...

And think of this one (I forgot where I found that): when an electrode is put to a certain location in the brain, the subject has the experience of floating against the ceiling ... the classic out-of-body description we often hear from people who were in an operation under general anesthesia ... Created just by placing an electrode?

I do not watch television very often lately, but the other day I saw a glimpse of a technical program, which explained how in video technology it is now possible to create a detailed video of somebody with all the authentic mimics of any emotion - and have someone say something that they may have never said ...

Which brings us back to maybe the key to all this: emotion ...
Are we getting to a new understanding of what emotion is and how to liberate ourselves from stuck emotions (in other words: how to free ourselves from unwanted "buttons" ...)?
The interesting aspect is that not only the world around us seems to be more "fluid" than previously thought (referring to string theory, M theory ...), it is also our physical body that is changing and becoming more soft and supple (or "fluid") as stuck energies are removed ... thus allowing us to live in "flow" ...

A Rose ... - by Anne VisMeantime I am really inspired by flowers. A good friend told me I have to market them as "erotic" if I ever intend to sell any of my work ... :-)

4 comments:

Bob Johnson said...

Very deep Anne, you have cool ways of thinking and I really have to start checking out these books you keep mentioning, seems like we are on the same wavelength, interesting about the electrode and astral projection feeling isn't it.

Love your images, I agree with the erotic classification.

Lynda Lehmann said...

Anne, these images are sensual and erotic, because of the sensory beauty they evoke. The second one is particularly gorgeous, though all your images are wonderful.

Sounds like you are doing some interesting reading. Like you, I am concerned with states of consciousness and perception, especially as they relate to the creative process.

I don't think there are any simple answers. Each theory is limited by definition, because no one theory is multi-dimensional enough to describe the human mind or experience.

I agree that we absolutely need ego to survive--to me it seems a fad to demonize it. It's what we choose to DO with our egoes that defines our characters.

Interesting post, Anne!

Sandy said...

Interesting read. I still have my doubts about the ego's role. I understand that the ego (false perception in a world of duality) peddles fear where (true perception) is that awake state, seeing events as they really are happening instead of skewing them with our own perceptions and beliefs. It's a fascinating subject for me and one I've always enjoyed reading on. Consciousness and energy create the nature of reality is a favorite saying of mine.

Anne Vis said...

Thanks Bob, Lynda and Sandy for your feedback!
Just wanted to mention that I do not see ego as a false perception, but instead as the "personality", which basically is the tools we have to survive in a world of duality. It consists of our qualities and talents. Without ego we simply cannot be on planet earth ...