Sunday, June 7, 2009

Us vs them?

Rose in Pastel - by Anne VisI just returned to Amsterdam after spending four months in San Francisco. Apart from facing a lot of work and challenges in Amsterdam, the difference in mentality and really everything is always impressive. I happened to come across an article on Der Spiegel website about the differences between Americans and Europeans (part one, part two, part three), interesting.

One of the things I really like about Americans is their attitude towards new thoughts. They tell me: "Wow, that is nice, how can I help you?" The Dutch are always keen to point out why your new ideas won't work. They call that practical realism. And helping? I called a Dutch helpdesk this past week and the employee even went as far as breaking off the connection! Welcome back!

In New Age thinking comparison is of course obsolete altogether: we need to move toward thinking of "us" and include the "them". If we consider all of us as indeed "us" there can be no more wars ...
I like that.

Artwork:
"Rose in Pastel" - by Anne Vis.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

What a gorgeous rose! Enjoyed reading about the Dutch today.