Sunday, September 13, 2009

Cuby & the Blizzards


When I found out that Cuby & the Blizzards were going to give a free concert just around the corner from where I live, it was clear that I needed to be there.
To me it is incomprehensible that they are not as famous as John Lee Hooker, they certainly do have all that it takes. A while back I already wrote about them, as a documentary about them was broadcast on television. The story behind them is fascinating too.
They have their roots in the north of the Netherlands, an area where I am from as well. In the time we grew up this was a very depressing place and it just makes sense that a great blues band originates here.
Interestingly enough the texts of their latest album have depressing topics, like the blunt and violent attitude of Dutch people, the war in Iraq etc. But the new music is more upbeat and the texts are clumsy enough to make it actually hilarious.
For some reason music that we hear in our youth seems to make a deeper impression, always capable of moving us.
As Cuby was playing their old blues, it was for me clear that I do not need drugs: I had nothing less than an incredible trip. Brain research describes how some people can actually "see" sound or "smell" an image. I normally do not experience that, but as of this moment I feel like I know what it's like.
I had the most lively color images and strangely enough could also hear other sounds through the music that was pretty loud already. And despite the previous song about the devil creating religion (yes, honestly, that is one of the titles on their new album! :-))), I had the most beautiful experiences during the real slow blues songs: I was in stunning landscapes with extraordinary colors, I saw al sorts of beings there, angels, deer, birds ... The flowers were of the most vivid colors. The scenery kept changing and also took me under water, where I met the most beautiful and extraordinary beings, living in fairy tale like castles.
The best song they ever made in my opinion is called "Window of my eyes". I think it is the vibration of the low bass that makes it more tangible in a life performance than when listening to a CD ... like every cell in the body starts resonating ...
I have listened to that song hundreds of times, but it never did what it did today ...

Makes me wonder, does every song have an "angel" version ...? Would it be possible to hear that at will ... ?
Cuby & the Blizzards in Amsterdam Westerpark
Cuby & the Blizzards in Amsterdam Westerpark

No comments: