Thursday, May 27, 2010

Art reviews

Summer Sail ... - art by Anne VisDreaming of a warm and sunny summer, I found the ideal artwork to spark that feel! :-) Available in extra large size at my online gallery and as a free ecard.

This past weekend
Knor and I were invited to join a friend and visit the open galleries on the islands close to the Jordaan in Amsterdam. We chose to visit Ada Breedveld, Kate Wilkinson and Ans Markus.

Ada's work is delightful. She has a very distinct style in her work, which has the feel of a happy childhood. Her figures are all very overweight, but they still give a light and happy impression. Ada Breedveld is a well-known artist and she deserves it as her work is highly professional and impressive!

Kate Wilkinson is originally from the UK and she works with different materials, making collages, but not just your average or ordinary collage. Her work is well-thought out and jumps out with eye-catching figures and great color compositions. She uses beautiful and original materials to create stunning effects. Apart from large pieces, she also has a collection of smaller sized work, which I found absolutely delightful.

And then we visited Ans Markus' gallery, which personally is not my favorite. Many artists use their art to try to heal an unresolved past and I think Ans' work is an example of that. Mind you, her work is very skillful, it is just not something that I would want to have in my space ...

Talking about the healing effect of art: this is undoubtedly part of the process of creating art. For myself my art is also healing, and as I am usually in some sort of a trance when I create it, I hope it has the same effect on others ... :-)

2 comments:

Abraham Lincoln said...

This is a bright picture. I would like to have seen the overweight people art and can imagine that might be funny.

Anne Vis said...

Thanks, Abe! :-) Links to the artists mentioned are in the first section of the post ...