Thursday, July 22, 2010

Freedom of Expression

Kitty T Shirt - design by Anne VisBeing "politically correct" is very trendy in the Netherlands. You cannot say or do anything that might "insult" some (usually religious extremist) individual or group. Worst case scenario the result is death, as we have seen with Theo van Gogh and Pim Fortuyn.

How far this goes and the impact on society can be seen today, as the paintings of Dutch painter
Sylvia Bosch have been removed from a clinic (Dutch language link).
You wonder what was so offensive about these paintings?
Well, she painted pigs ...
The worst is that the request for removal apparently was done by a non-muslim thinking that muslims might be offended ...
So what's next, will I be prosecuted because of my knor paintings? (it is probably offensive, as any painting of living creatures ...)

So this is why the party of Geert Wilders gets so many votes, we need to protect our freedom of expression (which is a mixed bag, as zionism is not something you want in your country either). It is clear that things are spinning completely out of control. Yesterday it also became clear that asylum seekers who are allowed to stay here, will be able to get a home within three months. The rest of the population has to wait for 18 years before they will be able to find a place for themselves.
I don't think I need to say more ...

Except that Knor and I are very happy today that
our entire store is featured on Zazzle! :-)

3 comments:

Stoneweaver said...

Madness! And I always thought the Dutch were so evolved...

Sandy said...

This is a beauty!!! I think this is happening in every country. Definitely here in some insidious ways.

Will said...

She painted pigs. Shameful. My goodness what is going on. Even those of us that think or ourselves as politically and culturally sensitive think stuff like this is insane.

Check out the Wordless Wednesday post linked to my name and tell me... am I in trouble?