Monday, August 15, 2011

Awakening 101


When my vortexhealing® teacher started explaining that what I thought was a healing training was actually an awakening lineage, I must confess that I wasn't exactly excited.
In my experience the subject "awakening" was just a lot of talk about nothing.
However, I started to explore anew, very skeptical, but still.
I even managed to read stuff from Eckhart Tolle and watched the videos with Oprah.
Now, a year and a lot of reading and listening later, I must say that Tolle seems to be a manual on how to still improve the story ... very useful if that's what you're looking for, but has nothing to do with awakening i.m.h.o.
I had already studied Byron Katie earlier, and although I get the impression that she is actually "real", the work never did it for me. It was just another mental exercise. A friend of mine explained that Byron Katie had discovered "the work" AFTER she got enlightened, and it seems like that is a crucial note. Something energetic needs to happen with the work and when it does, it is wonderful. I loved her book "A thousand names for joy".
I also attended meetings with Adyashanti a couple of times as well as listened to his talks online.
My vortex teachers speak very highly of him and I made a real effort to get what he was saying.
However, it just went one ear in, the other out ... Sometimes it seems like he says something interesting, but the next moment I have forgotten it again already ...
I think I finally know why this is: there is somebody who thinks to have to teach a state of being to other somebodies ... in other words: there is something to get for the "me" or as some people refer to as ego (don't like the word). And thus the teaching reinforces the ego actually!
I did not come up with this insight myself: I went to Tony Parsons in Amsterdam this past weekend, which was just awesome! It was like coming home, so confrontational, so inspiring, so joyful and absolutely hopeless all at the same time! Revolutionary ... And so absolutely funny, I haven't been laughing as much in ages ... Finally the real deal.
No, I am not "awake" ... and the awful news is that I cannot do anything about it ... :-)

2 comments:

Lynda Lehmann said...

Anne, I think that all of us who create are at least to some degree, "awake." I know that for me, doing art makes all things seem real, including the simple "act" of living.

Unfortunately, I think we have to discover spiritual truths through our own experience, cognition, and senses. There are things that are hard to teach. One can teach mindfulness, for instance, or deep breathing, but one would have to study with "enlightened Ones" for years, for "Awakening" to be learned "from" someone. Just my opinion.

Anyway, I love the way your blog looks and the new directions that you move in, always trying new things! Keep creating your beauty, Anne!

Sandy said...

I will definitely check him out. I have been on a path of "awakening" for thirty plus years. Here I still am...very much ego at times.

I have a few special teachers (authors of books I have loved)...and well...my waking up is ongoing.

ACIM has been a big part of my path.