Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A Lesbian Hairdo?

Elegant Black and White (Silver) Anniversary Invitation - art by Anne Vis
Life is as crazy as it can get.
I recently had to have a very drastic haircut, which evoked quite a wave of strong reactions that I had not foreseen.
First of all one of my friends announced that this would most certainly call an end to anything that might resemble a love (read: sex) life.
Very cute and charming ... :-)
Then a gay friend looked at me and said: "You look like a lesbian from the eighties. Couldn't you have it at least cut more asymmetrical or more fun?"
As you notice, the comments are getting increasingly flattering ... :-)))
So, yes, I look grey, lesbian and hopelessly old-fashioned.
Personally I really can't be too bothered about it, but there is something more intense about this. Because with all the football stuff going on, the Ukraine is big on the map. And not because of football, but because of violating human rights for gay and lesbian people.
Apart from it being out of the question for me now to travel to the Ukraine (...), I find it more alarming that some people apparently think they have to control what others are doing in their own bedroom. And apparently it is NOT OK to look a certain way.
In Amsterdam I have not been harassed (yet) because of supposedly being lesbian, but the sheer thought of it is just beyond my comprehension. Even a good friend of mine told me she has the impression that all lesbian and gay people are mentally unstable and "drama queens/kings". I must say that having lived most of my life in Amsterdam and San Francisco, both capitals of the gay, I know quite a lot of gay and lesbian people and cannot underscore this impression at all. On the contrary, I would say.
Anyone who ever fell in love, knows that it is something that happens beyond control. There is no reason to assume that this is different for people who are gay or lesbian.
In August the Gay Canal Pride will happen again in Amsterdam: brightly colored and festive boat parade to celebrate freedom for gays and lesbians.
And then I haven't even mentioned the transgender, bisexual and what you have ...
It looks like there is still a lot of work to be done to find true respect for anyone who is not "straight" in this world ...

The image on top of this post is an 25th anniversary invitation card I created today. Unfortunately it will still take quite a lot of time before the first gay married couples will get to their silver anniversary ...

No comments: